Saturday, July 27, 2013

An Icon Comes To Africa

Last August I went to an Icon Workshop and created a St. Kateri Icon. The man who arranged it, keeps us informed of things, via email.

The most recent message announced that the Icon Workshop this year, will be in September.
I, of course, will be in Oswego, so I will be missing it.

Along with the information on the workshop, came some photos of our teacher's latest project.

He flew to Africa this summer (the reason for the delay in the workshop) to paint an Icon of Jesus, in an African Church.

I don't know anything about where it is, or how poor the parish is, but you can see that my teacher did quite a wonderful job of bringing holiness to a worship space.

If you remember how hard a time I had laying on the gold leaf for the halo, I can't imagine how hard it was to do this mural for the Church.

He is a true master of Iconography.

2 comments:

  1. Without my google reader, I am lost. Forgive my long absence, and now I am headed out on vacation.

    When do you come east? Email or FB message me!!

    The icon is gorgeous! Please forgive me if I sound like a nitpicker, but all my study of icons says that they are "written" not painted. Is that what you were taught? Just curious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only writing you do, is map the image onto the area you will be painting. Otherwise, it is all painting.

    Coming East in the middle of August. I will definitely get in touch.

    ReplyDelete