Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Pom Pom Duck

She is always accompanied by her faithful husband and both of them are quite fearless of the walkers around the pathways.

I call her the Pom Pom Duck, but according to wikipedia, she is a Crested Duck.

From what I read, the gene that makes the cute pom pom is recessive and so not only do 25 percent of their offspring have no crest, 25 percent will die in the egg, because the mutation that makes the crest, is actually a deformity in their brain area. If they make it past all that, 50 percent will be born with perfectly lovely pom pom crests on their heads.

This duck has been around for several years and always makes me smile, as I pass her by.

Now that I know all this, I will definitely keep a better eye on her next spring. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment