Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bowers Museum - The Permanent Collection



I couldn't resist this shot. ;-)

I promised a bit on the permanent exhibit at the Bowers Museum, that I visited a week or so ago.

What I found is that I just took a few shots in the California Mission area of the museum, so that is what I will focus on today.

Just to give you an idea of what other areas we saw, there is a Native American exhibit, with woven baskets, jewels and weapons, a gallery of Plein Air Paintings and a Central American Maya exhibit.



The California Mission room has a ceiling that reminds you of ceilings in the missions themselves. There is a bit of history of Father Serra and the Mission Indians that were in the areas of California that Father Serra established his 21 Missions in. They mentioned that Father Serra was a frail man. This was the first time I actually heard this mentioned. It was still an amazing feat, what he did. It is hard enough building 1 house, but building 21 missions, each a days ride apart...almost impossible.

The room has the first still that made the first liquor in California. It is over on the left side of the photo. I thought is was quite impressive, in shape and materials used to make it.




St. Anthony dominates the room. He holds the baby Jesus in his hand, with candlesticks on either side of them. It looks almost like an altar. With the window filling the room with lots of natural light, it is truly a holy space, in a museum. A very well done exhibit area.

No comments:

Post a Comment