
If the weather holds out, I love to take a drive, just a few short miles from my sister's house. She lives on the south shore of Long Island and thus, is not far from the water that for me growing up, was over 10 miles away. It is still not walking distance, by any means, but it is closer. Like an exit or two on the Parkway and you are there. I have posted about this area before and you can read it, HERE.
Fire Island National Seashore is part of the barrier islands that protect the south shore. They take the brunt of the Atlantic's fury and leave the rest looking so calm and well...protected. Like nothing would ever attack the shore. It is a beautiful area that has turned up quite often recently in the news. As a matter of fact, Ocean Parkway, the main road across the barrier islands, was closed by the Jones Beach area. That is due to the continuing investigations of dead bodies that have been found in areas that I used to camp at, as a child and young adult. Very sad to see.
This is Fire Island Lighthouse and it is the highlight of the entire area of the Fire Island National Seashore. At this time of the year, the summer crowds had not yet arrived and so the parking lot was basically empty and there was a bull dozier moving sand around for the upcoming Memorial Day holiday.
Things were calm...well, minus the 3 police cars in the empty parking lot.
We sat in the car and ate our lunch, with the sound of the sea and the wind blowing. We couldn't see the water, but we were close...very close.
It was a good lunch.
I do love that I am so close to the water. I really did enjoy lunch on the beach!! Expectancy with my favorite sister!! Great picture, great day, I love you :-)
ReplyDeleteIf you'd like to visit us while you're here, we'd be happy to show you the mighty Nissequogue River! :)
ReplyDeleteNigey, I was just thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteAs you may have guessed, it was beyond hectic those 4 days. Running from the Nassau area to the Suffolk area, more then once a day, makes for a very tired visitor. What happened to enjoying Long Island? This was basically it, for Hubby and I. Oh well.
Martha: Next time Heckscher State Park! :-)
Did you see any clusters of Monarch Butterlies? They seem to hang around the area between the parking lot and the lighthouse. I go there sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI have seen monarch butterflies in Ventura, but no, I did not see any on Long Island.
ReplyDelete