
Our train travels brought us to places we have been before like...Penn Station, NY, Penn Station, Philadelphia, PA, and Union Station Washington, D.C. The one we had never seen before, is of course, Penn Station, Pittsburgh, PA.
We came into the city at sunset and were to leave the city at 4:50AM, but circumstances beyond our (and AMTRAK's) control kept us in the city until almost 8AM. That was almost 3 hours we had to hang out in their very minimal waiting area. It reminded me of a bus station and not an AMTRAK Station in a major city.
So being I get bored, I decided to go out when the sun was finally beginning to come up and I got some really lovely photos of the historic building, which so doesn't deserve that waiting area. ;-)
Isn't it lovely?

As I walked back toward the rear of the building, I saw this sign. It proclaimed that at a point in time, way back in the early 1800's, the Pennsylvania Canal terminated here at this very spot. It looks like a typical situation where a new form of transportation took the assets of the old one and converted it to their use. Thankfully, in New York, the Erie Canal has been re-purposed for the boaters who travel the waterways of New York State. Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania in general, did not get the same treatment.
I hope you enjoy a look at a slightly different train station.
Yes I did, You are once again letting me visit my country and let me see it which I really can't do. Thank You :-)
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome.
ReplyDelete