
My boss has a friend...
She was born and raised in Los Angeles and being we work in "Show Business", things come our way. This CD was given to her for some reason a few weeks ago and she showed it to me. One name caught my eye right off the bat...Jay and the Americans.
One of the obscure Steely Dan facts that fans know about, is that Donald and Walter started their career as back up to the touring Jay and the Americans band in 1971, just before they got their big break and formed Steely Dan....but I digress.
Raised in the Los Angeles Fairfax District, it was a lifelong dream of Simon Rutberg, to compile a collection of songs that he enjoyed. It took years to purchase the rights to the many songs that spoke to him and spoke to his Jewish heritage.
Here are the Artists and songs that are found on Jewish Soul.
Tracks:
1. Tzena Tzena (Connie Francis)
2. Oh My Papa (Eddie Fisher)
3. Eli, Eli (Johnny Mathis)
4. My Yiddishe Mamme (Tom Jones)
5. The Anniversary Song (Jackie Wilson)
6. Rumania, Rumania (Eartha Kitt)
7. Where Is The Village ( Jay & The Americans )
8. Rozhinkes Mit Mandlen (Natania Davrath)
9. Mamele (Yaffa Yarkoni)
10. Dance Everyone Dance (Betty Madigan)
11. Kol Nidre (Jan Peerce)
12. Where Can I Go? (Johnny Mathis)
13. Exodus (Andy Williams)
As mentioned in the article, if interested in hearing this CD, you can purchase it from THIS website.
I Digress, I love that saying, I fine this Blog very interesting. So many of the groups,( that you would ever think was nothing more than a simple rock & roll band) would turn out to have more sides to them. This was very interesting. :-)
ReplyDeleteIn the case of Donald and Walter, those were their Brill Building days. Kenny Vance (of Jay and the Americans) was their manager.
ReplyDeleteDigression is what makes conversation of any sort interesting. Digress away!
ReplyDeleteThis CD is a cool thing. I remember a lot of these songs from my own (Irish Catholic) childhood.
OK, I wrote a long, complex post and lost it, because I wasn't logged in. Darn!
ReplyDeleteWhat I was trying to say was that of all the songs on the CD, the one I would love to hear is the Kol Nidre (prayer recited on the night that is the beginning of Yom Kippur).