
A few weeks ago, a friend came to town to go to the Image Awards with me. She always stays at the same hotel, The Best Western Hollywood Hills. I had never seen the hotel, even though it is very visible from the busy Hollywood Freeway. The last time she visited, I had picked her up without getting out of my car, but this time I got to look around. What a nice job they have done, not only remodeling the hotel, but using the location of the hotel, as the decoration theme.

There's all sorts of movie memorabilia hanging on the walls and a real retro look in the furnishings. From what she says, it's not that expensive, either.
Especially since it is in the heart of Hollywood. It has a famous coffee shop, the 101 Coffee Shop, just off the lobby and even locals come to eat there. We stopped in, later that night and my friend ordered their famous Macaroni and Cheese dish. The order came in a small individual casserole dish, with melted and browned cheese on top. I had a taste and it was nothing like the boxed stuff you get at the store, very tasty. The decor there, is deliberately done in the style of Coffee Shops of old. The owner designed the place himself, using as a model other places, like Tiny Naylors and Norms, in particular. I was quite impressed with the entire experience and might someday break down and book a room there. It seems worth the experience.
Hey! That's where we made our home base while in your town. The 101 coffee shop was where Vince Vaughn has his drunken late-night scene in "Swingers." Can definitely recommend it as reasonably priced and close to loads of stuff in La-La-Land.
ReplyDeleteI remember!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou turned me on to lots of things that I had never heard about. Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles, El Coyote (which I hadn't been to in 20 or so years), Tiki, which I knew of, but never went to.
Come visit again soon. :-)