Saturday, February 23, 2008

Raising A Boy Child - What Got Us To This Point In Time: BDU-PT


I found an old photo from 2 years ago, on my work computer the other day. These boys were about to go out on their first hike. They did it on their own and called it BDU PT. They wanted to get into condition for JROTC camp that summer and this was how they accomplished the task. Almost 2 years down the road and one of them is finishing up his first year at the Virginia Military Academy. One is in the Army, studying to be a Airborne Ranger. One is on delayed entry to the Marines and is finishing up his final year in High School. Another is enlisted in the Air Force Special Forces (Pararescue or something) and also in his last year of High School. Then there's my son and we know what he is up to. :-)
I watched them that entire summer, hiking several times a week, in 102 degree heat and doing all sorts of exercises with the BDU's on. Weights in the packs, etc.
It was brutal...and they loved it.
There's no accounting for taste, I guess.
Hooyah guys!

3 comments:

  1. Got this in an email message.
    --------
    Argh! Blogger ate my comment!

    CindyLV said:

    Great photo and love your post. You really hit the jackpot with this kidlet and the group he hangs with. Great job, Mom and Dad!

    ==

    Question from angel:
    Is anyone else having trouble posting? I am just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let's give it a try. This is attempt #1 at approximately 11:15 PM ET.

    Testing 1 2 3...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dim Skip!

    I have not had trouble posting, but I know Cindy was having trouble with her Blogger account and then moved over to Wordpress, to fix the situation.

    If you or anyone else is having problems, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete