
When people from other areas of the country and world see pictures of Los Angeles, the first thing they notice, are the palm trees swaying in the wind. It's such an unusual thing and I know when productions are shooting scenes for TV and movies, they try to keep them out of the shots. It becomes immediately apparent where they are, if they don't. I have a love hate relationship with the Mexican Fan Palms that grace so many of our streets. They do indeed look beautiful and I am a New Yorker, so of course, I was not used to seeing them in my home state. 28 years later and that is still the case. I actually even have one in my back yard. A personal tribute to something just a little different.
The one problem I have with them, is the fact that when the winds blow or it is a rainy night, the old dead palm froms (froms are the branches of the palm tree) have a tendency to fall out of the trees. If the city of Los Angeles kept up with cutting them, all would be just fine, but instead, we have so many that are filled with dead branches. When the wind blows, they come crashing down onto the unsuspecting population. Bad enough, but on top of that, the branches have big thorns that stick out, so you do not want to get up close and personal with them, as they hurl to the ground. Trust me on this. I have been almost in the wrong place at the wrong time, upon several occasions. It's a soft rustling sound that you hear first. Almost like they are just blowing in the wind, but then it gets louder as it descends and you realize that something is coming your way. You quickly look up and try not to be it's target. I have gotten to the point, where on a really windy day, I run right by the offending palm tree. Trying to keep out of any potential path that a wayward palm from might take. Who knew that it's a jungle out there...
Back here on the East coast I have a similar problem (though not nearly as potentially harmful physically) with pine cones dropping from the four (there used to be six) pine trees along one end of my yard through the blustery winter days. I just recently took advantage of a couple warmish days to rake up hundreds, if not a thousand or two, pine cones.
ReplyDeleteI'm no tree expert, so I couldn't even tell you what variety of pine they are. The needles are short and stiff, not long and flexibly soft. The "cones" themselves are long and thin, not short and squat.
Perhaps this blog entry from May of 2007 when I took down one of the trees will help you (or anyone) identify the specific variety. Of course, I can't complain too much since, well, I do live perilously close to the famous NJ Pine Barrens, home of the mythical Jersey Devil (another article).
I know you're saying to yourself, What the...? An entry on falling palm fronds in California leading to Jersey Devil references? Betcha didn't see that comin' when you posted this! LOL! Ain't the web a wacky place?
:-)
Oh, you are so leaving yourself open here, oh Dimension Skipper...lol
ReplyDeleteActually, getting hit in the noggin is definitely where these two posts intersect. I do remember your post on the tree you took down.
We have pine trees in the back yard, I keep them trimmed down, but the one who made them is one BIG MOTHER of a pine tree, in my next door neighbors backyard. It obviously sends down pine cones, but doesn't bother me, way back there, at the edge of my yard. Just is incredibly prolific...sigh.
In 1981, I was walking up a steep hill just outside of the post in Germany. It was ferociously windy and I had my head down as I hiked up that hill. When I started out, I saw a discarded Christmas tree on the side of the road near the top of the hill, rolling in my direction. I crossed the street and put my head down. After a little while, I braved a quick peek up and that darn tree crossed the road and was once again headed right for me. I ran across the street again and the wind shifted again. I was able to make it to a mailbox and use it for a shield.
ReplyDeleteThat tree slammed into the mailbox and flipped around and continued down the hill. As it "ran" by, I noticed a gorgeous ornament inside. I reached to get it, but the tree "ran" away. Yep, it was a pine tree!
I swear to God, Cindy, you have the strangest things happen to you. Especially in your life in the Airforce. :-)
ReplyDelete