Monday, February 11, 2008

San Fernando Road's Final Days?


Every time I start getting upset about this, my son asks me why it matters so much to me. I don't honestly know why, but it does.

The City of Santa Clarita is scheduled to vote on the final stretch of San Fernando Road name change, this Tuesday. If you follow my humble blog, I mentioned it here that this was going to be voted on in the near future. They have delayed the vote, but I believe this is the last meeting, regarding the name change. Do I even think we have a shot at keeping it? Honestly, no...but I am forever hopeful.

The latest information states that the only reason they want to get rid of the name, is because we are not in The San Fernando Valley. I would like to point out, that if you do a Google Map search for the name, San Fernando Rd, this is what you get.

San Fernando Rd, Glendale
San Fernando Rd, Glendale, Los Angeles, CA
San Fernando Rd, Newhall
San Fernando Rd, Newhall, Los Angeles, CA 91321
San Fernando Rd, Jacksonville
San Fernando Rd, Jacksonville, Duval, FL 32217
San Fernando Rd, Peralta
San Fernando Rd, Peralta, Valencia, NM 87042
San Fernando Rd, Atascadero
San Fernando Rd, Atascadero, San Luis Obispo, CA 93422
San Fernando Rd, Goliad
San Fernando Rd, Goliad, Goliad, TX 77963
San Fernando Rd, Hope
San Fernando Rd, Hope, Hempstead, AR 71801
San Fernando Rd, Dayton
San Fernando Rd, Dayton, Montgomery, OH 45424
San Fernando Rd, Cape May
San Fernando Rd, Cape May, Cape May, NJ 08204

Note: This list is not exactly filled with references to The San Fernando Valley...

This is the name of a King of Spain, for goodness sakes! King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella sent Columbus out to find the new world. Without their greed and adventurous spirit, this Country might never have been found. This name is SO much bigger then their personal hatred of The San Fernando Valley.
To the City Council I say, Get a grip and leave the name alone.

Updated on 2/13 to add that the Council did indeed change the name and approved $20 thousand dollars to do so. A sad day.

2 comments:

  1. hi angel, it is beyond comprehension sometimes why names need to be changed. did you write them your point of view? send a letter to the biggest local newspaper about it, or to one of their main editors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent an email to one of the City Council members, each time I have blogged about it. Telling her in a very polite way, that I am not happy about this. She promptly wrote back to me both times (which I appreciate) but the tone of the emails make me feel that my feelings will not be changing her mind. Well, I feel better for trying. Her main point is that I should attend the meeting tonight, but I can't get there for 6PM, so my email is all they will get.

    ReplyDelete