Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Year And Two Against Nature


Happy Leap Day Everyone! We will see this day again in 4 years. Want to know why we do this, click here.

Along with the day, comes the real birthday of Steely Dan's first album after the 70's, Two Against Nature. In real years, the album reaches it's 8th birthday, but since it was released on February 29th, I like to think that it's only two. :-)

Steely Dan broke up in the early 80's and didn't put out another album as that group, until almost 20 years later. In honor of the fact that they had reformed, they did a Sony taping, known as the Plush Video. I have a friend at work, who mentioned that he was waiting for that album and show to come out and that is when Steely Dan entered my radar again. I had owned several albums, back in the 70's, Katy Lied, Royal Scam, Aja and I had a cassette of the soundtrack to FM. I loved their music, but due to them basically disappearing for many of those years, getting married, raising my son, etc, I had totally lost touch with them. That all ended, when the album and show came out. I started looking for websites about them and found a whole community over on Under The Banyan Trees. I lurked on that board and watched as everyone went to concert dates, met up, got Steely Dan Tee shirts, etc. I finally posted in February of 2001, almost a year after the album came out and I have made lasting friends, from that one comment from a work friend.
What do I think of Two Against Nature, 8 years later. I still love it and I still totally think it deserved the 4 Grammy Awards it got in 2001, beating Eminem, for album of the Year.

===================
Photo:
Me, wearing my Steely
Dan 2VN Subway Tee Shirt.

A good friend, upon
hearing that it was my
favorite shirt and I was
sorry I did not see them
in 2000 to get a chance to
buy one, sent me her shirt.
I wear it with pride and
would like to publicly
thank her for her amazing gift.

5 comments:

  1. aah, i know that T-shirt... i have a story about that one, but will share in the desert only some time :-)

    happy leap year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing your story. :-)

    I really do love the shirt...being a New Yorker and all that, it speaks to me on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder. 8 years gone by? Already!?

    Still a G-R-E-A-T album!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radio Dupree!!!!


    I am honored and humbled to have you check in and post.

    I didn't mention it in the post...favorite cuts are (in order):

    Almost Gothic
    Jack of Speed
    West of Hollywood
    Janie Runaway

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete