Monday, February 18, 2008

A Drive Down San Fernando Road


Since they are going to change the name of San Fernando Road, I decided to take a final drive down that section and document it via pictures.
Whatever it changes to, won't effect the businesses themselves, just the signage along the road.
My first stop in the journey was in front of the Saugus Cafe. I got out of my car and walked up the block to where Bouquet Canyon Road changes to San Fernando Road. This is technically the original Bouquet Junction, for the railroad, as best as I can figure it out. When we moved into the Santa Clarita Valley, Saugus Train Station was across the street from Saugus Cafe and the track that came from the Ventura Area, would split here. One track went North, through Saugus and up toward Palmdale and Lancaster. The other track would go South, toward Los Angeles, but it would immediately stop at the Saugus Train Station, to pick up and drop off passengers. Now days, it is just a dead end for Magic Mountain Parkway, with barriers protecting the rail road track.

Down the street is The Saugus Cafe. It is the oldest restaurant in Los Angeles County. It was originally located inside the Saugus Train Station and opened for business in 1886, which makes it almost 122 years old. It has a colorful history, which you can read about here.
When my family used to have Sunday breakfast out, this was the place where we would come. Not fancy stuff, but the place is packed on a weekend morning and it was today, as I walked into the main dining room. Since I was here, I picked up an order "to go"...what the heck. :-)
On the day our son was born, my husband left me, to go home and get some sleep. He stopped at Saugus Cafe and the wait staff who were on duty bought him breakfast. We still consider that the nicest thing.

They were family for many years and as a matter of fact, the current owner used to be the busboy, back when we first began eating there almost 20 years ago. Unfortunately, my husband works on Sundays, but sometime, we hope to be able to return on a regular basis.

I returned to my car and drove down the road, as I was driving, I was looking for signage, but didn't see anymore. It looks like the two signs up at the top of the stretch of road are all that are left.

I passed a flyover bridge at what used to be High Chic Curve.
The High Chic Drive In was an old fashioned hamburger stand and it has been gone for almost 15 years. There is a self storage building there now days, but some long time residents still remember it as High Chic Curve. If you were in Journalism, Medical or Police careers, it was infamous. Lots of accidents happened there, especially back when it was a two lane road.
After you pass the curve, you begin to enter the Newhall area. Small businesses and Fire Station 73, our biggest fire station, are the main residents. Note the "Keep Clear" signs on the road, in this picture.

I am directly in front of the Fire Station. We keep our main bulldozer for wildfires here, Dozer 1, I believe is it's name.

The train track continues on the other side of the road, with rental businesses on the railroad right of way.


Finally, the road ends just past the 13th Street railroad crossing. Spliting into two roads, one of which is now closed.
This is where San Fernando Road used to become Downtown Newhall.
Several months ago, the City closed off the street and made it for local traffic, only. They named it Main Street.
Railroad Avenue, which follows the train tracks, takes the bulk of the traffic from the former San Fernando Road and then merges back in at the end of Downtown Newhall, on a stretch of road that is now being renamed Newhall Avenue.

The end of a proud road.

2 comments:

  1. Angel, I have no real specific comment, but I just wanted to take the time to say that I enjoy your "travelogues" and appreciate the behind-the-scenes work involved to snap the photos and then document in your own words what these places mean to you or any associations you have with them---like the free breakfast from the staff at the cafe.

    Thanks for the ongoing tours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for your kind words.

    If you ever come out this way, we will definitely take you to Saugus Cafe. It's a pretty cool place.

    ReplyDelete