Monday, February 25, 2008

Raining On Their Parade - NASCAR


As I mentioned on Sunday's post, it's been raining on and off here. The rain came Saturday night and it rained pretty steadily all night. Sunday, it's just been occasional showers. No great accumulation, just enough to cancel most outdoor events, one of which would have been his cross country flying trip. I win on the move of the flight day to Saturday. Yay, team!

My son and I spent yesterday afternoon watching the NASCAR race going on at the California Speedway. If you remember my NASCAR post from September, I swore that I would NEVER volunteer for this event again. Well, time passes and I thought about volunteering, maybe just for 1 day, since the extreme hot weather was not going to be a factor in February. Fortunately for me, they didn't need us parents, so I was off the hook. Great! Now what about my son? Well, he was going to have to attend, due to having to take pictures of the event. Around Tuesday, he finally found someone who was going and got her to Historian the event for him. Yay team twice!
My son decides to check out the event. What we ended up watching was not really the race, we were just watching people talking. Drying the track, again and again, cutting lines in the concrete of the turns, trying to keep the turns dry and after 7 hours the cars had gone 87 laps, mostly in yellow flags. Fox pulls the coverage at 7PM and put on The Simpson's. They came back at 8PM and announced that the race will resume at 9AM tomorrow morning. My son and his friends are so very happy that they didn't go to this event and feel so sorry for their friends who are still there and will have to clean up and then, go to school tomorrow. Who knows when they will get home. Our current estimate...is Midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment